15 June 2007

Shabba shabba

It has not been very long in Uganda thus far, but I feel like I’m long overdue with an update for you folks back home. The internet thang doesn’t feel like a particularly good use of time or money, so I will likely be brief and occasional with my check-ins. This feels like a good way to communicate though, as emailing isn’t happening with ease.

Where to start?!? Another big thank you to everyone who has supported the fundraising that has resulting in hockey bags full of equipment to donate and extra funds that have yet to be allocated. I am cognizant of the potential for corruption within the upper management of hospitals here, so I’m weary about donating funds that I won’t directly see translated into supply donations. Time will tell how all of the money gets distributed, but I assure you it is needed and will be put in the most appropriate hands…

I am feeling pretty overwhelmed by my time here so far; I knew it would be hard but maybe you can’t prepare yourself for some things. I have been sick already and feel pretty weak, so still have to figure out the balance between eating enough to sustain myself, while not eating anything that will make me sick. It’s been a while since I did the rice and bean diet but I’m getting back into it with relative ease… I feel pretty weak and this doesn’t make my time at the hospital any easier. The smell of the ward overwhelms me. The clinical situations overwhelm me. The heat and humidity ice the cake!

The first birth that I attended (not as an observer) left a dead mother and baby. I was quickly introduced to a completely different reality that these people know far too well. I am tripping out as I think of all the women in Canada who fear childbirth so much, receive so many unnecessary interventions and are cared for according to absolute clinical scrutiny. We have absolutely nothing to be scared about. Many of these people certainly have something to fear, but what they have to fear is so normal that it isn’t feared.

The problems lie at so many levels; access to care, sufficient care providers, corruption within systems, access to supplies, delays in management, delays in decision-making, lack of basic supplies. It’s incredibly hard to stimulate emergency responses, even if care providers are acutely aware that a response is needed. Basic supplies aren’t stocked, staff aren’t available, etc. etc….so what is the value of rushing a response?!?

Do I sound frustrated? I’m trying to let things slide when I can and I try to accept things that are acceptable but I really do not believe that things we are witnessing are acceptable. I don’t want to rant, so I will just sign off with these salient points: This country is incredibly beautiful, the people are charming, I feel safe, I am learning a lot, the women are so grateful to receive good care and I am grateful to be learning here.

Ouelaba, A-M