13 August 2011

I'm Guinea-bound!

Greetings to my community near and far...

In the last week, I have received confirmation that I have been placed to work with Doctors Without Borders (Medecins Sans Frontieres, MSF) in Guinea, West Africa.

I have followed the work that MSF does for many years and after my last trip to Africa, became more conscious about the importance of supporting humanitarian organizations that are founded on sound and transparent ethical values. MSF works in accordance with some of the aspects of humanitarian work that I really value, and encourage those with some spare change to make a donation to the organization. (Check out: www.msf.ca)

I have decided to do a flash fundraise for this project because while MSF does much fundraising, they of course have overhead expenses. I am hoping to collect some additional funds, of which 100% can end in the hands of the Guineans that I will be supporting. From my experience last time, I know that situations of need will present, and I hope to have some funds that I can put towards situations/conditions that would benefit from some change.

My understanding at the moment is that I will be based in Conakry, working within projects aimed at improving perinatal and particularly neonatal health in the area. As of last year, the maternal mortality rate was 680 per 100,000 births compared to less than 5 per 100,000 births here in Canada.

The "under 5" mortality rate is 146 per 1,000 in Guinea compared to less than 6 per 1,000 in Canada.

In Guinea, there is 1 midwife for every 1,000 live births. Working as a midwife in Canada, I attend 40-60 births each year.

I can't cure poverty but with a little spare change, we can make life's walk a touch sweeter for at least a few fellow humans! Thanks for your support!

Much love, Anne-Marie